Coláiste Muire recognises the importance of SPHE (Social Personal & Health Education) and has a full SPHE programme in place within the school. SPHE is concerned with the personal development of students and with his/her health and well-being. It is one of the most important areas of a students education. It helps students to understand how to care for themselves and it fosters in them a sense of responsibility for their own actions.
Aims of SPHE in Coláiste Muire
- To enable the students to develop skills for self-fulfillment and living in communities.
- To enable the students to develop a framework for responsible decision-making.
- To promote self-esteem and self-confidence.
- To provide opportunities for reflection and discussion.
- To promote physical, mental and emotional health and well being.
SPHE is carried out over first year to third year and it covers ten key modules:
- Belonging and Integrating
- Communication Skills
- Physical Health
- Relationships and Sexuality
- Emotional Health
- Influences and Decisions
- Substance Misuse
- Personal Safety